The history of the Bellevue Hotel
The Bellevue Hotel, originally named the Villa Mendi Azpian, is the work of Edmond Durandeau, an emblematic architect of the Basque coast at the beginning of the 20th century. Built in 1910, the Villa was originally the personal residence of Henry Martinet, another great name in Basque and neo-Basque architecture, to whom we owe, among other things, the Hotel Eskualduna (between 1912 and 1922).
“Edmond DURANDEAU (1878-1960), architect born in Angoulême but adopted by Hendaye, is known for his original and modern constructions. He plans to make Hendaye one of the first seaside towns on the Atlantic coast.
He designed the “Red House” and the current Bellevue Hotel, formerly named “Mendi Azpian”, among other buildings.”
Source : Hendaye Tourisme